Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Amabilis




I've always enjoyed reading all of my siblings blogs but thought it would be pointless for me to have one because I'm not married nor do I have kids. However, after giving it some more consideration, I decided that it might be nice just to share with my family what is going on in my life. And I hope you all enjoy my blog as much as I have enjoyed yours.


I think you all know that I'm studying Horticulture (plants) at Virginia Tech, and I am loving it. I spend labs outside examining trees and I study identification characteristics and Latin names frequently (a long with chemistry and economics and other silly subjects). One fun Latin name I learned this semester is Pseudolarix amabilis, common name is golden larch. Although I've only seen this deciduous tree in "hybernation" so far, I thought the name was great. Amabilis translates to mean "deserving of love" or "loveable". This is how I feel about most plants, they are loveable, fascinating, evolved, beautiful, and yes, even sexy (as one of my professors has concluded). I am so happy and excited that I will spend the rest of my life learning about these amazing organisms.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm very happy you've found and are pursuing a career path you love.

    And I started my blog long before I was married, so don't let that stop you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading this post I concluded that the translation of the word amabilis "deserving of love" or "loveable" was referring to you, but I can see how it can also apply to plants. I am glad you are learning so much about them and that you are sharing something about them and your life with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete